The Laurel watershed encompasses the Ten Mile Creek, Four Mile Creek, and Deer Creek drainages. Flow is from east to west entering Barrett Lake which empties into the Nooksack River north east of Ferndale. The watershed is very diverse in land uses with dairies, berries, and potatoes in the northern portion and small scale urban ag dominating the southern portion.
2023 Action Items
1. Assist landowners in preparing for a water right adjudication – develop legal strategy
2. Implement 5 year plan for drainage. Encourage landowners to suggest drainage improvements.
3. Support DNA testing for water quality. Use information to better educate landowners.
4. Complete fish friendly tidegate on Cougar Creek
5. Communicate with landowners through WFF newsletters and posts
6. Monitor and reduce problem beavers.